People, Culture and Inclusion

What do I get out of volunteering?

What do I get out of volunteering?

We are all time poor, constantly moving from one thing to the next, feeling under pressure to be achieving. Then we are bombarded with perfect people sharing social media posts virtue signalling about how they spent the weekend knitting for refugees while all you managed to do was work your way through a Game of Thrones box set marathon. 

Life in the 21st century can be full on, and I suppose we all have our own way of navigating through it and experiencing a satisfying existence. People volunteer in all sorts of ways and for all sorts of reasons. Usually it is because of a genuine drive to support the particular cause involved, but there are so many benefits to the volunteer too that are often overlooked when viewed through a purely altruistic lens.

Others can describe these benefits more fully than I (NCVO, Mental Health Foundation, Forbes) however it can probably be summarised as providing a sense of purpose and wellbeing, and as a significant source of personal development. The benefits to your physical and mental heath can be profound; the opportunities to develop skills, knowledge, contacts and confidence are there for the taking and can have a hugely positive impact on your career.

Placed in that context then its difficult to see why more people don’t volunteer. That is probably down to the barriers involved: I don’t have time, I’m not interested in old people/cats/climate change/insert good cause here, I’m at work all day and too tired in the evenings, I’m not confident enough to talk to strangers/work in a charity shop, I have my own problems to worry about, I’d do it if they paid me etc.

A technique I frequently refer to on personal development programmes and in coaching is to reframe an issue. Instead of “I’m not confident enough” how about “I’d love to develop my confidence”. Instead of “I’m not interested in cats” perhaps ask “what issue am I passionate about and would like to develop a career in?”. Instead of “I’m too tired in the evenings” perhaps “I’ll see if there are local litter picking walks I can join in at weekend because I want to get out and enjoy the fresh air more”.

Volunteering does not have to be an overwhelming time commitment, nor a burdensome activity. Giving blood is volunteering. Baking cakes for the school fair is volunteering. Mentoring a young person is volunteering. Gleaning surplus crops for fair food distribution is volunteering. Managing a social media campaign for a local group while you are sat on your bum watching that Game of Thrones box set (yes this is me!) is volunteering. Volunteering is a wonderful activity that benefits the good cause AND it benefits you; maybe we just need to make it ok for us to admit that.

If you would like to find out more about volunteering opportunities available contact Lucy Woodward in the volunteering team. In support of International Volunteering Day on Wednesday 5th December the University is hosting an event about volunteering with Pilgrims Hospice – details here.

Juliet Flynn

Organisational and Staff Development Advisor