People, Culture and Inclusion

Top Tips for making IT Training stick

Top Tips for making IT Training stick

Laptop opening

The move to online working means it is now more important than ever to embrace technology. But if you are someone who feels less than tech-savvy, what can you do? Where do you go for help?

If you’ve ever wanted to master the Microsoft Office Suite, learn how to make your documents accessible, stay safe online or impress your colleagues with your Microsoft Teams knowledge, then IT Services have got you covered. They offer a range of IT training – for all abilities and delivered completely online. You can even book a virtual one-to-one slot with an IT Trainer.

To help you get the most out of your IT Training, I have come up with my top 5 tips:

1. Be present and focused

When training is being delivered virtually, the temptation to continue working is strong. I urge you to resist this. Close down any windows that are not needed for the training, don’t look at your emails (unless you need to as part of the training), consider moving your mobile out of reach. You may think you can continue to work and listen and learn at the same time, but you can’t – trust me!

1. Ask questions – even ‘stupid’ ones

People approach me for tech support often and, 9 times out of 10 they will start off with “Stupid question but…”. Now, I secretly love it when people do this because it gives me the opportunity to dust off and use one of my favourite mottos:  “There are no stupid questions”. And I mean it. When teaching someone how to use technology, the more questions the better because it means you are already thinking about how you can use the technology and shows you are engaged.

1. Be a bother

Politely and respectfully so – but don’t be afraid to ask your trainer if you need extra support. They want you to leave the session feeling confident in using the technology and are there to help you. It does not matter if you have already been shown how to do something, if you are still not sure, ask to be shown again – and perhaps a bit slower. You are not bothering your trainer if you ask them to go over something more than once.

1. Give it a go

If the trainer gives you the opportunity to explore the technology as part of the training, do so. Don’t be afraid of the technology – you are not going to break it (well, you might – but best break it in the training session where there is someone to help you un-break it, eh?) Be brave – it’s ok to make mistakes. Give the technology a try and play around with it. You may surprise yourself.

1. Practise, Practise, Practise

The learning will stick best if you apply it as soon as you can after the training. Even the most technology-minded people need time to embed their new learning. The more you use it, the less you will have to think about it – before you know it you will be diving into those advanced features and people will be coming to you for tech-help.

So, when you next attend some IT Training, try these tips out and let me know how you get on. Comment below any tips of your own – I would love to hear from you!

Don’t forget to check out what IT Training is on offer – Search “IT Skills” in StaffSpace. You can also book a 1:1 slot with one of our friendly neighbourhood IT Trainers via their online booking form.

Zoe Connell, Digital Learning and Development Advisor

2 comments on “Top Tips for making IT Training stick