People, Culture and Inclusion

Working with a 2-Year-Old at Home … in Lockdown!

Close up of computer keyboard with teddy laying on it

Hello! I’m Margaret Ayers, Director of Human Resources & Organisational Development. Like many of you I’m trying to continue my job whilst also having to care for a child at home (I only have one – for those of you with more than one – I salute you).

Mind you, I nearly forgot there is also Alfie our 12 year old Staffie (who was my first baby), who is very needy and is always going thorough some sort of existential crisis or other. You would think he would be happy to have us all home all day – but no – I think he would prefer a bit more peace and quiet!

In some ways I’m very lucky; my husband (who also works full time) was able to take two weeks of parental leave when lockdown started so took care of our daughter Leah during that time. But it’s hard for her knowing that that her mum is in the house and she can’t be with me. She thinks I’m doing “yoga” – that’s what she says  – probably because pre-lockdown it’s the only thing I really did except go out to work. I could do with some yoga now because my body is seizing up from the heavy mornings of Teams meetings – but I can’t find the bandwidth to do it. [Look at Tuesday’s blog for ideas to help with this! – Ed.]

Her Dad and I are both working now and taking care of Leah. We both know Numberblocks and Hey Duggie! off by heart, and sometimes you just have to forget about how much screen time you are all having if it helps you get through the day. My husband is shielding so all the shopping falls to me, but we have a scruffy garden and live near a green open area where we can go for a walk. It’s hard, this way of working and living, and part of me feels like I’m not doing any of it very well. The other part says I just need to take it one day at a time and do what I can do!

I hope all of you are keeping safe and well – we can only hope this will all be over soon, and we will return to something like it was before. I’ve got to finish now – I can hear Leah’s just woken up from her afternoon nap (which gave me a bit of time to write this!). Take care everyone!

Margaret Ayers, Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development