Time for an MOT?

Have you found yourself saying ‘when things get back to normal’ or ‘when this is all over’ I’m going to…..

I know I certainly have.  My own thoughts and decisions have ranged from going back to the gym (which I’ve put off since last October) to just taking some minor risks around spending some hard earned savings on my new house (I think the rainy day just arrived) to thinking about my future in my world of work.  Will that look very different from what it is now?  What do I want to focus on for the next few years?

If you’re having similar thoughts and some of them are about your future career path, or making sure you take some time out to invest in your development rather than being too busy, then don’t delay – book yourself in for a development MOT.  The DVLA might have extended all our car MOT renewal dates but have said we are still required to keep our motors roadworthy – the same applies to ourselves and our development.

These Development MOTs are short, confidential 1:1 discussions to talk about you and your future career.  Regular, 30 minutes slots are available to book now via our online booking form.

Lynne Gill, Organisational and People Development Manager

2 comments on “Time for an MOT?

1. I have to admit my time in self-isolation, a recent bereavement, a failed first attempt to buy a house and some family health scares have definitely made me more reflective on my future! I hadn’t realised until this time that I had put off a lot of plans and ideas because I didn’t feel “ready enough”, or I used my competing demands as an excuse not to. I always thought of myself as quite a risk taker because my career has been very changeable and I have taken on challenging roles, but now I think I need to go back and decide what’s really important to me.

1. It is interesting how these times are causing us all to reflect. Focussing on our core values is essential. You might find Edgar Schein’s work on Career Anchors, or Schwartz theory of values helpful in your thinking.