Centre for Kent History and Heritage

The fourth lost blog: Medieval Animals conference part 1

Unfortunately, I’m going to have to miss tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday, including the Canterbury Medieval Pageant, and today I was partly at the Faculty conference and therefore missed quite a few of the papers at Dr Diane Heath’s NHLF-funded Medieval Animals Heritage ‘Skin and Bone, Wood and Stone’ conference.

To give a flavour of the exhibition

However, the papers I did manage to get to were excellent and I heard great reports about the others. Nevertheless, rather than report on just a few, I thought what I would do as a way of getting something out would be to post a series of photos to take you through Wednesday evening and at least to provide a flavour of Thursday. Then once I’m back and I have a report in on the conference, Diane is organising that, I’ll add it so that we have a record that reflects this splendid conference in its richness, as well as the collegiate spirit shown by all concerned – final years undergraduates, postgraduates, staff, speakers from across the world, Diane’s project volunteers from outside the university and people from Kent who came to find out more medieval animals.

Animal poems and wine – a good mix!
Martin discusses medieval beasts at Dover’s Maison Dieu
Peter Joyce introduces Andy’s fascinating paper
Bringing digital humanities to ‘Medieval Animals’
Dave and the terrifying ‘Black Shuck’
Part of the exhibition curated by the children who have taken part in the MAH project