Sustainability

The SGO and Me

The SGO and Me

When I first got the email that I had been offered a place in the Student Green Office I was thrilled but also absolutely terrified. Not only was this the start of a new job but it was also my first year at university. I was still finding my feet and getting used to this new phase of my life. Moreover, I would be joining the SGO late, with the other members having already been working together for a few weeks. I felt like I would be an imposter. Despite my fears, I took the opportunity and hoped for the best.  

From the first meeting we had, all my worries had diminished, and I knew that I had made the right decision. This was the place for me. Felicity and Bethany welcomed me with open arms, and I quickly grew close with the other members of my team. I soon got involved with events, testing out the Climate Escape Room, which was great fun, and then running a stall at the What’s On Your Plate? event.  

Image Description: Jenny at the What’s On Your Plate event, surrounded by a group of students

Before long I found my niche, educating people on little changes they could make to help our planet. It is often overwhelming to think about all the things we could, and perhaps should, be doing to help the environment. This often puts people off trying. Instead, I encourage people to adopt small changes and start new habits, that are easily achievable in their day to day lives to help play a part in improving the future prospects of everybody and the planet itself.  

My favourite event I ran was for Women’s History Month. Although it was not a part of helping the planet survive, sustainability is also about human equality. The event involved getting participants to write down a woman who inspires you and why. It was great to see people take some time to appreciate the women in their lives. 

I also loved conducting interviews around campus with Harry, as it was a completely new experience for me, and helped grow my confidence talking to new people. 

Image Description: Jenny and a student, mid-interview

I would definitely encourage anyone who is thinking about joining the SGO to go for it! The people are great, the work is fun, and the job is very flexible. You can delve into the things you are good at and what you’re passionate about. It feels great to play some small role in helping the planet but also people too.  

As for what’s next for me, I am going into my second year of my Forensic Archaeology degree. I will be taking all the lessons that I have learnt in the SGO with me and I will continue to promote little changes that can be made by anyone to better help our environment.  

By Jenny Hall, SGO Project Officer

Want to read more? You can read Jack and Halle’s SGO reflections.

Interested in joining the 24/25 year for the SGO? We’re accepting applications on Unitemps until 28 April!