Sustainability

Fran’s #LifeInLockdown

Fran’s #LifeInLockdown

Today feels like day 5937 of lockdown, but in reality I’ve been isolating or in lockdown for the past six weeks. It feels longer because the first three of those were self-isolating, the first week because a friend was showing symptoms and the next two because my brother was.

The lockdown period has been very up and down for me, some days been fun and productive, others rushing past me without me being really conscious of them. I am somewhat lucky because I am in my First Year, which means the university cancelled all of my remaining deadlines, so I only had one essay to finish at the beginning of my isolation. Though that does mean its been more challenging to find things that fill my time because I have no work to do other than with the Student Green Office.

I’ve tried to establish a routine of sorts, not quite managing getting up at the same time every day, but trying to do at least some exercise each day – mainly using the fitness classes offered by ‘Christ Church Sports and Active Health. I am a big movie lover and have recently started working my way through a list of films that people should see before it’s too late, which helps to fill my time. I love reading and honestly don’t know what I would do without my kindle, though I love a physical book my kindle helps prevent my room being chock full of books!My routine isn’t perfect, but I definitely find that having a routine helps me to be more productive and feel more in control of life at this uncertain time.

I have been cooking and baking a lot more, both for myself and my family, which has reignited my love of it. I’ve had time to do a lot of family recipes that I have previously put off because they were time consuming, but have gone down as resounding successes. Most recently I produced a roast dinner entirely prepared and cooked by me, something I’ve never done before!

Honestly, I don’t know where I would be without social media and the ability to connect with my friends and family. Being able to speak to my Grandma even though I can’t see her, and staying caught up with my friends really helps to keep my sanity in check during all this craziness. Some of my friends and I have been doing a weekly quiz where we each put together a round, which has really brought out the creative side in people. Some of the best rounds include ‘guess whose teddy’ and ‘what’s the rhyme’ using all of our name.

I try and look out for some stories of kindness every day, and it’s so refreshing that I never have to look too far. Despite the crazy and uncertain times so many people are taking the time to look out for others, both in their community and for total strangers. I wrote a post all about it here and honestly could have written so many more because there is so much out there. It’s nice to remind ourselves of the good going on in the world in a time where everything feels bleak, so I try and make it part of my daily routine.