The Poetic Nursing Heart

Unlearning the Matrix: A Journey Through Rebellion and Rediscovery

by Tom Delahunt (the #hobopoet)

This weekend, as I walked through the serene countryside of Kent with my wife, surrounded by the graceful flight of buzzards and the golden light in the fields of grain, I had an epiphany. It was the realisation of a societal matrix, ever more significant as we approach an age dominated by artificial intelligence and the values it brings to the creative mind. This thought intertwined with the life and work of Meister Eckhart, whose philosophy echoes the essence of inner transformation and spiritual awakening.

In the iconic film “The Matrix,” Neo’s journey is a powerful metaphor for breaking free from oppressive systems. The memorable exchange between Agent Smith and Neo, where Smith insists that resistance is futile and Neo responds, “Because I choose to,” encapsulates the essence of personal choice and defiance against control. This theme resonates deeply with my own experience of education, where each brick laid by traditional systems seemed to build a wall around my creative freedom. The irony, however, is that the most profound learning often comes from unlearning these imposed structures.

Reflecting on the works of Bernard (2022) in “The Rebel Cry,” I see parallels with historical and contemporary figures who have defied norms to reshape society. From the traveling thinkers of African culture to the revolutionary voices across the globe, these rebels challenge us to rethink intelligence and creativity in a world increasingly influenced by AI. The future of learning lies not just in technological advancements but in embracing diverse forms of knowledge that predate our modern systems.

Angela Rayner’s journey from a comprehensive school in Stockport to becoming a prominent political figure exemplifies the power of resilience and unlearning. Her story gives hope that even those outside traditional systems can rise and inspire change. As a creative poet, playwright, and blogger, I find inspiration in her narrative and the possibility of contributing to societal transformation alongside leaders who understand the value of every voice.

As #HoboPoet, my alter ego inspired by C.S. Lewis’s whimsical Hatter and J.R.R. Tolkien’s deep linguistic explorations, I embrace the role of the mystic and the artist. Like Tolkien, who delved into the deepest mines of language, I seek to uncover the profound truths hidden in our spoken and written words. The mystics and poets serve as guides, helping us navigate the complexities of our world. Their narratives remind us of the power of storytelling and the importance of connecting with our deepest selves.

In this new era, the true measure of intelligence will extend beyond conventional education. Oratory, traditional knowledge, and the brilliance of AI can together create a more inclusive and equitable world. As we stand on the brink of political change, my hope is that we begin a slow rebuild, one that values creativity, choice, and the voices of those previously marginalised.

The matrix is not just a fictional construct; it is the reality many of us navigate daily. But as Neo chose to persist, so can we choose to break free, brick by brick, and embrace a future where every form of intelligence is celebrated.

The Table of Consciousness: A New Hope

My play, “The Table of Consciousness,” is a testament to this ideology of hope and transformation. Inspired by Paulo Freire’s seminal work, “Pedagogy of the Oppressed,” the play explores the journey from oppression to liberation. Freire’s concept of critical consciousness, where individuals gain the ability to critically analyse their social conditions and take transformative action, is central to the narrative. This new element in the play embodies the transformative power of hope and the potential for societal change.

Adding a new element to this work, I draw on the power of oratory and folk storytelling. We may not cure all ills by gathering around a fireside, but it is a profound start. Pink Floyd’s “Brick in the Wall” serves as a haunting reminder of the oppressive nature of traditional education. The lyrics, “We don’t need no education, we don’t need no thought control,” resonate deeply with my own experiences and the play’s themes.

Integrating the lyrics of MARO, an artist whose work I adore, further enriches this narrative. In her song “I See It Coming,” she sings:

“I see it coming, the change in the air, Breaking the silence, we finally care. Voices are rising, no longer alone, building a future, reclaiming our own.”

These lyrics encapsulate the essence of the play and the journey of unlearning and rediscovery. They speak to the transformative power of hope and the collective action needed to rebuild our world.

Whispers from the Waiting Room: A New Chapter

As I make small adjustments to “Whispers from the Waiting Room,” my latest work, I am filled with excitement for this next chapter. The addition of a small red-threaded page marker symbolizes the threads of connection and continuity that run through our lives and stories. These final touches represent the building blocks of my work during this “F##k You” period—a time of rebellion, dreaming, and fearless exploration.

The journey from oppression to hope, from traditional learning to unlearning, is one that I refuse to abandon. As an addict who has experienced the confines of the metaphorical cage, I understand the importance of freedom and the refusal to return to a space that limits the soul. As Maya Angelou famously wrote in “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” “The caged bird sings of freedom.” My work, my art, and my life are dedicated to ensuring that neither I nor anyone else remains caged by societal constructs.

In conclusion, the matrix of society, much like the fictional world of “The Matrix,” requires us to choose—to persist, to hope, and to transform. Through plays, poetry, music, and art, we can break free from the oppressive systems that bind us and build a future where every form of intelligence and creativity is celebrated. As #HoboPoet, I embrace this journey with the wisdom of mystics, the artistry of poets, and the resilience of rebels. Together, we can reclaim our stories and reshape our world.

Agent Smith: “You can’t win, it’s pointless to keep fighting! Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you persist?”

Neo: “Because I choose to.”

This space of adventure is going to split… The poetic Nursing heart will house the academic  and epistemology of the poetry in the heart of the nurse. But I have begun a new space for my alter ego the #Hobopoet

https://substack.com/@thomasdelahunt?utm_source=profile-page

Also, please find my new publication here: Nurturing nursing professionals: unleashing the rhizomatic power of expression, creativity, and art as resistance (in ‘Practice: Contemporary Issues in Practitioner Education’).

• Freire, Paulo. Pedagogy of the Oppressed. Bloomsbury Publishing, 2018.
  • Burnard, Pamela, Elizabeth Mackinlay, David Rousell, and Tatiana Dragovic (Eds.). Doing Rebellious Research In and Beyond the Academy. Brill, 2022​ (Brill)​​
  • Eckhart, Meister. Meister Eckhart: A Mystic-Warrior for Our Times. Shambhala Publications, 2005.
  • Pink Floyd. “Another Brick in the Wall.” The Wall, Columbia Records, 1979.
  • MARO. “I See It Coming.” It’s Okay, Universal Music, 2020.