Christ Church Sport

Nine reasons to join the gym tomorrow.

Nine reasons to join the gym tomorrow.

TIP 16: Join the gym at CCCU Sports Centre. I completed a trial week at the gym with my partner, a seasoned gym addit. I learnt a lot during my week but to sum it all up for you, here’s the nine reasons I think you should join the gym too.

Social

As BBC’s recent article discovered, (Could taking up running help you get a new job?) exercise is more and more becoming a social activity. Starting with a friend is brilliant as they can give you tips and make sure you have the right form when exercising so you don’t hurt yoursef. During the week I turned a work acquaintance into my new leg day buddy, and made friends with a couple of girls who do the same course at university. You can meet new people and if you’re a little competitive like me, you’ll find you will push yourself harder than if alone.

Reduce Stress

“If you start exercising, your brain recognizes this as a moment of stress. As your heart pressure increases, the brain thinks you are either fighting the enemy or fleeing from it. To protect yourself and your brain from stress, you release a protein called BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor). This BDNF has a protective and also reparative element to your memory neurons and acts as a reset switch. That’s why we often feel so at ease and like things are clear after exercising,” Leo Widrich writes.

Try new activities

There are a ton of activites on offer than you usually wouldn’t do. Such as spin classesses, power hoop, yoga, bodypump, circuit training, zumba, pilates and fitcamp. You can choose activites that suit you, with ‘beginner, intermediate and advanced’ spin classes. With a class you get expert advice and a group of people to cheer you on and motivate you. Even if you don’t go to all the activites on offer at your local gym, try something new and you may love it. See the CCCU Fitness Class Timetable

Gain strength

Throughout the week I tried weight-lifting to improve my strength. By the end of the week I had increased the amount of weight I could lift with my arms and bicepts, and also gained strength in my core. Even if you don’t want the six-packs abs and toned biceps, it’s a massive achievement to say you can do a pull up. The sense of achievement knowing you can now achieve something you thought was impossible, is well worth the ache of your muscles.

Lose Weight

This is an obvious one, but any activity burning off calories you wouldn’t have is going have a positive impact for your health. Weight loss takes time and as many people will tell you, it’s about the food going into your body as well as the exercise you do. Set realistic goals and consider hiring a personal trainer to help you achieve any weightloss for best results and safe practice.

Improve your sleep

As little as 10 minutes of aerobic exercise, such as walking or cycling, can dramatically improve the quality of your nighttime sleep, especially when done on a regular basis. What’s more, exercisers may reduce their risk for developing troublesome sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. Although avoid exercising too close to bedtime as this may leave you too exergised and alert. How exercise affects your sleep

Clearer Skin

Dr Emma Wedgeworth, consultant dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson, tells us that it’s scientific fact that as well as being good for general health, running can also help our skin.

“When we exercise,” she explains, “we boost circulation to our skin, increasing oxygen and nutrient delivery, which gives us that immediate post-exercise glow. Enhanced skin blood flow can also help skin cells regenerate and remove toxins more efficiently. All of these changes can help regulate comedogenesis, the pore blockage which is the first stage in acne.” See futher info on exercise and skin here

Better mood

When you exercise a number of neurotransmitters are triggered, such as endorphins, serotonin, dopamine, glutamate, and GABA. Some of these are well-known for their role in mood control. Exercise, in fact, is one of the most effective prevention and treatment strategies for depression according to some websites.

Time Management

Having to fit in the gym meant I was planning my day better and got more done. I thought I would have less time in the day, but in reality I had less time sat around procratinating. It was great to be able to do something in the evening instead of watching tv for X hours after dinner.

I hope I’ve opened your mind to all the potential benefits of exercise and joining a gym, whatever you do, Move More.

Sign up to Christ Church Sports Center here