Christ Church Sport

Finding our way to a healthier lifestyle

6 weeks ago, myself and my partner decided to change our lifestyle for the better. It was time to move more, and maybe reduce the amount of cheesecake we eat in a week. We didn’t want a diet, we wanted something sustainable and healthier for our bodies.

Step one, we bought a cookbook (Joe Wicks, the Body Coach) that showed us just what was going into our bodies, instead of jars of sauce packed with sugar. The Change4Life Website shows the harmful effects of too much sugar.

Too much sugar can lead to the build up of harmful fat on the inside that we can’t see. This fat around vital organs can cause weight gain and serious diseases in the future like heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers. Having too much sugar can also cause tooth decay.

So our dinners went from chicken korma curries with naan bread to seasoned chicken, rice and vegetables. We saw no difference in hunger levels, even though we now have smaller portions.
The next step is moving move. There are 40 different tips posted weekly during term time that help give ideas on how to move more thoughout the day. My first decision was to change my route to university. This benefit was two fold, 1- The route is longer so I’m active for longer, and 2- it doesn’t go past various food outlets that tempt me to buy food I don’t need. Another way I started moving more was to walk and meet my partner from work on my days off when I usually don’t stray much further from 3 metres away from the computor. Climbing the stairs instead of using the lift helped to keep me active through out the work day too.
So 6 weeks on, how far have we strayed from our plan?
I’m happy to say that our dinner meals are still healthy, and we have found new ways to encorpoate food we love without going overboard on calories. For example, chips, burger and onion rings is now a burger without a bun, some lovely sweet potato fries and some vegetables. My walk to work still goes the longest route back, but time constaints means I take the shortcut there for speed. I now meet with a friend for lunch every week to catch up, walking from one campus to another on my lunch break. My partner has lost 4 inches off his waist (5 days a week gym dedication there) and our food bill has decreased. But most of all, this a lifestyle that is better for us, and it easily maintainable compared to fad diets. We eat more vegetables and fruit and do more activies that get us out and about.
Set yourself goals, such as to be still less at each once a day. A small change like washing the dishes by hand, is a change towards a healthier lifestyle.
Let us know any movemore tips you suggest that would help us Be Still Less on our twitter CCCU MOVEMORE