Student life and wellbeing

Meet the team – Dr Julia Hynes

Meet the team – Dr Julia Hynes

Pictures of KMMS buildings

What do the Student Life and Wellbeing (SLW) Team do? 

The SLW team can meet with you face-to-face and online if you are experiencing any issues you would like to discuss. The team may be able to assist you with your issue or can signpost you to other services if necessary. 

Meet the Team 

Academic Lead for Student Life and Wellbeing – Dr Julia Hynes (she/her) 

Julia is the Academic Lead for SLW and holds oversight of the entire service. She has led the construction and implementation of the strategy for the service to ensure that you, as students, receive the required support you need throughout your journey at KMMS. Julia holds a Doctorate in Philosophy (Ethics In medical practice), a post-doctorate in Clinical Ethics and has extensive experience teaching in HE in medical ethics, law and professionalism.

Julia is the Independent Ethics Advisor for East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust, teaches qualified doctors at the GMC and works with the Irish Medical Council as accreditation panel assessor.  When she is not busy ensuring her commitment to student support, Julia enjoys cycling and swimming, as well as long walks by the beach during sunset with her furry friend. 

What’s one fact about you from your uni days? 

I was very fortunate that my doctoral supervisor sent me to live in both Rome and Paris for extended periods to study Latin and French. 

What’s one piece of advice you want to give to students? 

Enjoy your academic journey and have fun, it is very important for your wellbeing. 

If you were to go back and study again now, what subject would you choose? 

I enjoyed all the subjects I studied at University, in fact, I enjoyed University so much I found a way to stay forever… become an academic and study!