Christ Church Sport

Sian Cleary Can

Sian Cleary Can

Anyone who knows me will also know that sport pretty much rules my life. I’ll either be seen with a lacrosse stick in hand or in the gym.

I first got into sport in when I was 14, a time where I had little self-confidence and when Instagram had just taken off. I had also suffered the loss of my Dad and Granddad and needed an outlet for my emotions and anger. Sport is the best therapist I’ve ever had!

Don’t get me wrong I love training individually but there really is something about training and playing together to achieve a common goal…

I started to run every day on my lunch break, primarily only being able to run for a 1km and building up to 5km. As it got colder I started to use the school gym and this is where my love of lifting weights began. I’ve been lucky enough to meet some amazing people who have taught me about the world of bodybuilding and I am doing my first bodybuilding competition early 2020. In addition to this, I began to play lacrosse when I started here at Canterbury Christ Church University, having never played a team sport before. Don’t get me wrong I love training individually but there really is something about training and playing together to achieve a common goal. University has really given me an opportunity to start something new and push way out of my comfort zone whilst meeting a great team of strong and supportive girls along the way!

Sian Cleary Canterbury Christ Church University Student

I am so passionate about people participating in sport as it’s a great way of looking after your mental and physical well-being. It’s especially important for girls to push themselves on what is still a male dominated platform. 

Sian Cleary
Canterbury Christ Church University Student
Women’s Lacrosse President and Sports Exec