Christ Church Sport

Couch to 5K. Running for beginners…

Couch to 5K. Running for beginners…

This term TrySport has been running (no pun intended) a Couch to 5K programme. Couch to 5K is a simple 8 week running plan for people who have decided to be more active. It’s perfect if you’re new to running as you start slowly and build up gradually. The programme includes a mixture of walking, jogging and running. It’s designed to get just about anyone from the couch to running 5 kilometres (or 30 minutes) in 8 weeks. All the TrySport sessions are taken by qualified run leaders who guide you through the plan and help you reach your goal at your own pace.

If  you missed this terms Couch to 5k programme but still want to get into running, don’t worry. There will be another TrySport Couch to 5k course starting at the beginning of the next academic year. To book your place email: trysport@canterbury.ac.uk

If you want to get started in the meantime, you could always download the Couch to 5K app by NHS Life Choices: http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

If you need some inspiration to get started running, read Sandy’s story…..

I am middle aged and have recently decided to take up some form of gentle exercise to fend off the inevitable aging process. My chosen activity is jogging.

Having not undertaken regular exercise for 10 years I was wary of launching off into A&E by overdoing it. I was recommended a podcast called ‘Couch to 5K’ which is provided by NHS Life Choices  at http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

This is a programme of 9 weeks where you start under the guidance of your host presenter Laura to walk and run for short intervals 3 times per week. Gradually you run for more minutes, followed by walking in between to recover. Over the period of 9 weeks your stamina and fitness grows just by following the instructions. Laura talks you through all the stages and provides encouragement. Before you know it you can run in week 5 for 20 minutes!

I have enjoyed the structure of the podcast and found it motivational. There is cheesy music too which helps pass the minutes.  Each session is no longer than 30 minutes and fits in with a busy life. It seems to work for me and I get fresh air and quiet time – it is true that at the moment I am still in a battle for survival to complete the session rather than quiet contemplation, but it apparently gets better!

I have 3 weeks left to go before I presumably will run for 30 minutes and cover 5k! I will then enter the local Race for Life.  I would urge anyone not sure of how to start exercising to try a Couch to 5K programme. It is really designed for those of us that have not exercised regularly for some years.

Sandy Foster
Deputy Clerk to the Governing Body
University Solicitor’s Office