Christ Church Sport

Do you walk the dog, or does the dog walk you?

TIP#8 Walk the dog, if you don’t have one, ask your neighbours.

I don’t own a dog, but am forever dreaming of the day I do. This tip was a great way to get talking to our neighbours, which we don’t do enough of nowadays. The owners were happy for me to take ‘Bruce’ the cocker spaniel on a walk and joked we should make it a weekly thing. This would be great for dog owners who are less able to get out due to health reasons, and was a welcome break to the owners.

Bruce didn’t seem to mind and already had the route he wanted to take set and went full speed ahead. Which begs the question, did he walk me, or did I walk him? It was mutually beneficial, however when another dog came around he was the one dragging me around.

In the brisk December weather it was a great excuse to get out walking and exploring areas I don’t pass regularly. Dog returned safe and sound, we agreed that whenever the owners couldn’t, I would happily walk Bruce.

At the end of the day, I made better acquaintances with my neighbour (hint, this tip won’t work well with someone you’ve never met. Then you look like a dognapper!), got some exercise and moved more. I’d recommend you to do too, especially if you have elderly neighbours, or an especially adorable dog living next door. Your walk can take as long or as short as you like so it’s great for all abilities.

For those who walk the dog each day, I’d recommend asking your partner/children/housemates to join you so more people in your household more move. It’s a great way to take your mind of things, and after a break away from the desk you may find yourself inspired by the things you see on your walk.

Our next blog post will talk about boxing day activities to move more, as christmas is fast approaching!