Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Education

Kent Teacher of the Year Awards: NQT of the Year 2019

Julie Evans and NQT of the Year winner

We are so proud to be a sponsor for the NQT of the Year award, one of the Kent Teacher of the Year Awards.

This year the award has gone to a CCCU alumna, Harriet Burrowes! (pictured above with Julie Evans) who recently finished the BA (Hons) Primary Education.

Harriet has told us a bit about her journey to becoming NQT of the Year and how she feels about being shortlisted:
“I studied Primary Education at Canterbury Christ Church University. Before university, I knew I wanted to be a primary school teacher but I couldn’t actually imagine myself as a teacher. I never thought I’d be ready to take on a whole class, let alone being shortlisted for a NQT of the year award!

However, I looked back in my third year of university and I realised how ready I felt to step into my first classroom as a teacher. Without me realising it, my course and tutors at CCCU had gradually nurtured and supported me so well that I felt completely confident and comfortable. The university helped me throughout my degree and I have still been able to rely on them for advice and support even after I graduated.

Right now I am currently a Year 4 class teacher in Kent. I have been able to draw upon my experience from placements, advice from tutors, all alongside the seminars and lectures from over the three years of my course. This has helped me hugely in my practice as a teacher. I survived Ofsted in one of my first weeks, mentored a CCCU student teacher who is on placement in my class and am now looking forward to my second year of teaching.

I feel astonished and honoured that I have been shortlisted as the NQT of the year!”

Congratulations, Harriet! We are so #CCCUProud of you!