Christ Church Sport

Stand up, the view is different.

Stand up, the view is different.

Tip #1: Study standing.

This week I tried studying standing a few times a day. My initial thoughts were ‘why stand when you can sit?’ but nevertheless, I gave it a go. During lectures and seminars, I neglected the stand for no other reason than personal preservation, but in the library and at home I tried it out. First I felt self-conscious, then as I got used to it, I found myself pacing and moving while revising. I had more energy and was less likely to go for a 5 minute Facebook break so often. When you’re already up, it’s not as much effort to go check out that book at the back, or to go printer so often. I did need to lean over to type, but how much time do you spend typing, compared to thinking of what to say? Not alot, as it turns out. But as a result, I got things done faster and stopped procrastinating quite so much. Overall, I’d recommend standing study more often, it kept me focused, active and less likely to nap.

When you’re cramming in a late night session at the library, studying standing is your new best friend (until you learn to sleep standing up!)

I’ll continue this tip especially when I’ve got a tight deadline, and recommend anyone who wants to give it a try, to stand with friends. While you’re brainstorming you’ll find idea’s come to you much easier.

Helen Gardner, Y3, Applied Art & Marketing.