Christ Church Sport

Juice to move

Juice to move

TIP: Eat lunch away from your desk

Over the Easter weekend, whilst most people were probably chowing down on chocolates and family roast dinners, I was on a 5 day juice detox. This involved smooshing a whole manner of colourful fruit and vegetables to extract all the micronutrients and then consuming this four times a day. I was expecting to feel pretty rubbish (significant other didn’t manage to get to the end of day one and had completely caved by breakfast of day 2 due to a chronic headache) but, surprisingly, I managed to sail through the whole 5 days ailment free and with the mere thought of actually eating something on day 6 keeping me going. I also managed to maintain my exercise levels (running every other day – I am up to 8 minutes now, woo hoo – as well as daily walks with the dog) but my primary focus was to get through unscathed and hopefully come out the other side feeling ‘cleaner’ and healthier.

What, you may ask, has this got to do with moving more? Well, one of the move more tips is to eat lunch away from your desk. Take a break & get some fresh air. I didn’t want to waste the 5 days I had spent not masticating (so underrated!) so challenged myself to eat more mindfully and not cram my lunchtime sandwich in without focusing on what I was actually eating; studies have shown that people who eat whilst distracted, for example, playing video games, reading, watching TV, consume considerably more and can’t actually remember everything they have eaten. In addition, 5 days without food had been hard but it had changed my mindset with regards the sort of food I wanted to feed my body so ‘distracted’ eating could see me revert to old habits.

Day one: I returned to work on Tuesday morning only to find a chocolate Easter egg on my desk that was a gift from a very kind colleague. You have no idea how tempted I was to rip the box open and almost inhale the chocolate in one fell swoop (I didn’t and, at the time of writing, it is still pristinely in its box in the fridge)! Day one of my new resolve to feed my body healthy food was to become even more challenging as I was due to have lunch with a lovely friend which would consist of sandwiches and cake (for anybody that hasn’t tried a Fenwick afternoon tea for two, I would highly recommend you taking yourself along to the Eatery on the third floor. I limited myself to just the sandwiches and one scone). However, as we were leaving our office, I would’ve at least managed to take a break and eat my lunch away from my desk!

Day two: I always eat breakfast at my desk. I couldn’t face eating at 06:30 (or even earlier on gym days; I don’t think I could even exercise after eating. In addition, if I ate that early then all my lunch would be gone by 10:00!), so usually tuck in anytime between 09:00 and 09:30. I don’t think eating one meal at my desk is too bad but today I was determined to not let it become two or make any further contributions to the two weeks’ worth of food nestled in the bottom of my keyboard. I’d ordered a new healthy cookbook that I had to collect from the bookshop so off I went at lunchtime. Aha, I hear you say, that’s just going into town and has nothing to do with eating lunch away from your desk. Well, here’s the thing: I stuck my sandwiches in my bag and, once I had my picked up my book, detoured through Dane John Gardens and ate al fresco. It was lovely and I’m really pleased I did it. Not only did I benefit from the fresh air (in the city centre? questionable) and vitamin D courtesy of a watery Sping sun, it also meant that I added another 2151 steps to the days pedometer tally, steps I wouldn’t have taken had I sat in front of my screen and eaten.

Day three: I was walking the dog at 05:10 and in the gym before 07:00. Busy morning and, at first, I didn’t think the nice weather we had been promised would materialise but the sun showed up and the temperature slowly rose. I couldn’t possibly justify sitting indoors to eat my lunch today so, yes, that’s right, I went out! It feels a little strange, sitting on a park bench by myself and eating especially as today it wasn’t a simple sandwich that I had but I like my own company and just need to get over the awkwardness. Maybe I should download an audiobook or remember to bring my headphones in then I could listen to some music at least.

Day four: it was a cold, dark, foggy (and consequently damp) morning on the coast. Luckily, this didn’t last long and yet another glorious Spring day arrived. I wasn’t sure I was going to get out at lunchtime as a poorly car had forced me onto public transport and I needed to get home to sort it out. I rarely use the bus but there was something quite relaxing about spending the journey listening to music and reading a book. Luckily it is still the school holidays so the bus was relatively quiet, which enhanced the experience. I had a couple of bits to pick up from the supermarket and I had promised myself that, for this week at least, I would do any ‘chores’ after work so that I could savour my lunch. Unfortunately, the bus timetable meant that I didn’t have the luxury of doing this so my choice was chores or lunch? I did the chores and ate lunch at my desk. In my defence, at least I had still moved away from my computer screen and ventured outside. I know that there are going to be days when I won’t be able to avoid eating at my desk but I am hoping these are going to be rare rather than the norm.

Focusing on what I am eating has also meant that SO and I have agreed to always eat our meals at the dining table rather than on our laps whilst watching TV. It will help our digestion, our posture and reintroduce the art of conversation to meal times. In addition, we can open the patio doors – when the weather and temperature allows – to let in the fresh air.

I really want to make this move more tip an integral part of my daily working life. Even when the weather isn’t pleasant enough to actually eat outside, I’m pretty sure that only torrential rain will keep me in for the whole of my lunch break. I don’t have to go far (there is a 1 mile circular route from Augustine House that takes about 15 minutes to cover) but if I do decide to stay in I still have no excuse to be inactive as there are 3 floors in this building which means a lot of stairs.

Ceri Spain
Statutory Returns Officer
Planning Office