Christ Church Sport

Hup, two, three, four…

Hup, two, three, four…

TIP: Take the stairs, not the lift

Now I would imagine not all of us have the luxury of having a lift in their home, so I would have thought we’re all a bit used to running up and down the stairs! But one thing I’m sure we ALL have done, is bear right immediately upon entering Augustine House to use the lift!

This week I tried taking the stairs rather than the lift at any opportunity. My initial attitude towards it was okay. I work in a place with multiple sets of stairs that I’m forever charging up and down, so it didn’t seem too daunting.

The thing I really learned from it was that mind over matter is legit. We all walk into Augustine House or into a building on campus knowing our timetable states NS09 (for example) and head straight for those metal sliding doors. But what if I just pretended the lift wasn’t there? What other option would I have? None. In all honestly, it doesn’t take that much longer to go up the stairs and you get a bit of exercise in the process. Plus by the time you wait for a lift to appear, half the journey could have been done!

I’m going to carry on doing this tip because it doesn’t require too much physical effort. It’s more convincing myself to, in the words of Nike, just do it. The sense of achievement given by conquering the wooden hill is not grand, but by no means insufficient.

Overall, this tip is soooooooo easy to incorporate into day-to-day life and definitely put a little hop in my step!

Eve Batts
PR, Media and Marketing
Year 2