This recipe is full of flavour and can be made in the microwave. It is full of iron from the lentils and has anti-inflammatory proprieties from the turmeric making it a perfect winter dish.
- 1 cup of red lentils (thoroughly washed) *for speed ensure these are ‘no need to drain’
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 vegetable stock cube (I find the Knorr vegetable stock pots work best)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes sliced into halves
- Water from a boiled kettle
- place the lentils, turmeric, cumin, stock cube, salt and pepper into a microwavable dish and cover with half the water from the kettle (approx.). The bowl should be about 3/4 way full.
- Next, place in the microwave and leave on high for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and ensure there is plenty of water each time.
- Add the tomatoes. If at this point, the water has significantly reduced, add some more and continue to heat. Repeat this as necessary until lentils are fully cooked. Typically, the lentils will be cooked in approximately 20/25 minutes depending on wattage and quantity. The lentils are cooked when soft.
serve with rice/naan and a simple side of raita
To make a quick and basic raita, mix plain organic yoghurt with mint sauce to taste. Alternatively, you can mix a pinch of turmeric or cumin seeds, fresh coriander or mint or even pomegranate seeds to make it seem fancier.
***The lentils can also be cooked in a pan however, this method takes slightly longer***
If using the hob method, why not try adding in other ingredients such as garlic and or onion for an extra Vitamin C hit.