Simple yet luxurious tomato Tagliatelle with prawns
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1/2 an aubergine cut into small 1/2 cm cubes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 teaspoons of drained chopped cappers (to taste)
- approximately a small handful of black olives roughly chopped
- 1 tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 knorr vegetable stock
- a small glass of white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- juice of half a lemon
- a few drops of vinegar
- chilli flakes
- fresh parsley
- raw king prawns
- either dried pasta or fresh tagliatelle made using free range egg. (Personally I prefer fresh pasta as it provides more protein and is less heavy. It can also be frozen).
- optional – vegetarian parmesan, Organic Cheese or a vegan alternative to serve
- First gently fry the onion and garlic in oil until soft and golden and add the chilli flakes. Then add the Aubergine. (If the onion is struggling to soften you may find adding a little water will help speed this up half way through and will also help create steam for the Aubergine).
- Once the Aubergine has started to colour and soften, add the wine and let simmer until it is evaporated and the smell of the alcohol is no longer obvious.
- Next, add a little water and the tomato pureee and mix it into the pan so the aubergine is coated well. Allow to cook for a few minutes
- Now add the capers, tin of tomatoes and half the olives, few drops of vinegar and stock cube. Also fill the empty tin with water and add this to the sauce. Allow this to cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally and adding the pasta water if necessary to reduce the thickness in about the last five minutes.
- Now add the lemon juice, remaining olives, parsley, prawns and seasoning and let simmer gently until the prawns are pink.
- Combine the pasta and sauce together in the pan and let sit for a minute. You can also sprinkle parsley on top if serving at the table.
Add cheese when serving for a little extra luxury.