Rice is a staple part of my diet. I love it! Where most people crave pasta and potatoes, I always fancy a nice curry. Don’t get me wrong they’re nice too but they take so much effort sometimes. This is real lazy wholesome cooking 👩🏿‍🍳👨🏻‍🍳

Rice is so versatile, comforting and cheap, yet a lot of people can find it difficult to cook. That’s why I have included the simplest method I know and then added a few fancier versions. However each recipe is surprisingly easy and takes minimal effort, you can thank me later lol😄

Simple plain rice.

(absorption method)
I have never understood why people drain rice! This rice cooking method is completely fool proof and is used all over Asia! It creates perfectly fluffy rice every time and you don’t have to constantly watch over it!

instructions:

1. Wash the rice until the water runs clear and is no longer clouded by the starch.Now place in the saucepan and add water. You will need two parts water for every 1 part rice. Or if you fill water to the your knuckle on your finger it should be about inch about the rice. For a fancier version you could also add lime leaves or a little lime as this will not only add subtle flavour but will also ensure the rice is nice and bright white. It also adds a little Vitamin C.

2.Bring to boil

3. As soon as the pan is boiling place the lid on and turn the heat down to low. I usually put my electric hob on 2 but for a gas cooker you would need to put the flame to the absolute lowest. Leave for 10 mins. Do not touch the lid and do not open!!

4. After this, turn the heat off completely and leave for a further 10 minutes. Do not remove the lid! However tempting it may be, the rice is still steaming!

5. Finally, you should now how perfectly cooked steamed rice.

Egg fried rice

Ingredients:
Day old rice/ a microwavable packet of rice
egg/s
Small dash Sesame oil (to taste)
Small dash Soy sauce (to taste)
Pepper
Spring onion finely sliced
Chilli (optional)

Instructions:

1. Bring a frying pan/wok to a high heat and add a little oil.
  2. Next add the eggs straight to the pan and start scrambling. Once half scrambled add the rice
  3. Add a little splash of water to help break it up and create some steam
  4. Now add the spring onions, sesame oil, soy sauce, chilli and pepper to taste (*note-you shouldn’t need any salt as the soy sauce creates the salty element).
  5. Ensure rice is piping hot before serving.

Coconut rice

This recipe uses the same method as my absorbing method, the only difference is that coconut milk is used instead of water.

Ingredients
1 tin coconut milk
Washed Basmati rice Thai Curry paste. Personally, I prefer red curry paste but green also works well.

instructions:

1. Using the absorption method from before, add the coconut milk approx 1 inch/to your knuckle above the rice -note, if you don’t have enough, don’t panic! Just dilute with a little water.
  2. Add the curry paste to the pan and give a little stir to break it up.
  3. Bring to boil
  4. Place lid on and reduce heat. Leave for 10 mins. Do not touch!
  5. Remove from heat for 10 mins keeping the lid firmly on.
  6. Fluff rice before serving