Mother Nature nourishes us all. She provides everything we need to survive and replenish and that includes our skincare. Many expensive creams and lotions contain naturally derived ingredients at a premium price, anything we can sustainably get from the source is much much better than that extracted in the lab for us and the environment. Here are some easy face mask recipes you can make at home which utilise the most of what nature provides us with.
Theres no set rule for a facemark recipes, there’s just you and what works for your skin. The added benefit of creating your own facemark using natural ingredients is that they are less likely to cause allergic reactions and the mask can be tailored for your individual needs. The basic necessity is that you use a wetter binding base ingredient such as yoghurt, milk or aloe vera gel and then work from there. Here are some commonly used ingredients and their uses to get you started:
- yoghurt -whether its soya, nut based or dairy, yoghurt is full of fats that gently hydrate and moisturise the skin. avoid yoghurts with added sugars as these can irritate and cause breakouts.
- milk – dairy milk contains lactic acid which can gently exfoliate the skin.
- Aloe Vera gel – this is super sensitive and hydrating
additional ingredients ( as many or as little as you like)
- mashed avocado – contains omega and natural fats to moisturise the skin
- honey -natural antibacterial and gentle exfoliator
- tumeric – antiinflammatory
- cacao – rich antioxidants to protect cells from oxidation caused by pollution from free radicals
- dark chocolate (avoid sugary) – rich antioxidants to protect cells from oxidation caused by pollution from free radicals
- crushed oats – natural exfoliator
- papaya – hydrates and contains antioxidants
- lemon juice (small quantity) – natural exfoliator
- Manuka honey – antibacterial and antiviral
- cucumber – cleansing and soothing
- egg whites (organic free range) – protein to restore elasticity
- natural oils such as coconut and olive -moisturising, contains essential natural fats
- almond butter (no added sugar) -moisturiser, essential natural fats
- Dead Sea salt – natural exfoliator
- mashed banana -moisturising and soothing