No-one knows for sure how long humans have been keeping pets for but it is believed that it could be as early as 27,000 years ago. But why would we keep pets? Well personally, as a pet owner of 3 cats I feel that they provide a companionship that foster good mental health.

As the proud parent to 3 cats, it has its ups and downs but it is never a dull moment. Within this blog post we’ll look at how pets can improve your mental health and share some funny animal videos for those of you who don’t have any pets.

I mean look at that face

So why do humans keep pets? Well, science knows that dogs are descended from wolves that we domesticated to help with jobs that we needed doing. They may have captured the young cubs, domesticated them and found that they were useful for hunting, so it could be something that we have picked up from our ancestors.

James Serpell, a professor of Animal Ethics & Welfare at the University of Pennsylvania suggests that humans are social creatures and as such are always looking for companionship and so pets make a good substitute for this.

Pets and Depression

Pets are also a great motivator for people, especially dogs as they need walking every day, so it encourages you to get exercise and research shows that this can be beneficial for those suffering from depression. The NHS website states that ‘Regular exercise can boost your mood if you have depression, and it’s especially useful for people with mild to moderate depression.’ Pets can also have calming effects. Just by stroking, sitting next to or playing with a pet can give you a chance to relax and calm your thoughts. Caring for a pet also gives your day purpose and reward, and a sense of achievement. It also helps you feel valuable and needed.

The Mental Health Foundation carried out a survey alongside Cats Protection and found that 87% of people who owned a cat felt it had a positive impact on their wellbeing, while 76% said they could cope with everyday life much better thanks to the company of their feline friends.

Personally I think my cats are the best comedians I have ever seen. They are so clever but make some questionable decisions that make me belly laugh like never before. I am reminded of a time that my brothers had brought a balloon home from somewhere and my cats were so intrigued. I think one of them tried to sit on it and one of them tried to clean it? It was so funny watching these cats that I had seen be so coniving and cunning be total idiots will a latex sack of air.

For those of you without pets or maybe enjoy watching other pets be as silly as our own can be, here is a compilation of pets being a bit silly to make yo chuckle and hopefully brighten your day a little bit.