Although some of our new students have already started their studies, for most of you next week is when your on-campus student experience properly begins!
Whether you are based at Canterbury or Medway, there will be lots of support on offer to help you find your way around and answer any questions you may have. This includes our friendly Student Ambassadors (who know exactly how you’ll be feeling!) and the i-zone who will have desks in Augustine House, Verena Holmes building and on Medway campus from 9am Monday-Friday. The i-zone will also be available via Live Chat, email and telephone – see here for full details of how you can contact them throughout the week.
In the meantime, work your way through our list of must-do tasks to ensure everything is in place for you to get the absolute most out of your Welcome Week.
- Check the A-Z of course inductions for details of your course’s Welcome Week schedule, and look out for emails from your Course Team with further details. Make sure to check both your university and personal email in-boxes including your spam/junk folders in case the email has been diverted. If you’re in any doubt about your Welcome Week schedule, please contact your Course Team whose details you’ll find within your Course Essentials. Remember, your Welcome Week schedule not only includes time with your lecturers, but essential introductory sessions for IT and the Library too.
- But your Welcome Week isn’t just about your studies! Check out what else is going on in terms of Welcome Fairs, Freshers’ Fayre, social events, and drop-ins with our support teams including the Student Wellbeing Advisers. This includes tailored events for our international and postgraduate students, and students from a care background.
- If you’ve completed your registration, but not yet applied for your student smartcard, now is the time to do so. Just complete and submit this short form to receive your smartcard by post within 7 working days. Your smartcard is your official student ID and allows you access to a range of student services which you can read about here.
- Experiment with our interactive on-campus maps and learn how room numbering works, so you know how to find your way from one activity to the next.
- Download the Eduroam Wi-Fi app and configure your smartphone or other device, so it automatically connects to the University Wi-Fi as soon as you get onto campus.
- Last but definitely not least, plan when you’ll take your lateral flow COVID tests. The government expects all students and staff accessing university facilities to take a COVID-19 asymptomatic test twice a week, even if you are vaccinated.
We’ll also be posting updates on social media throughout the week, so keep an eye on the Facebook group and Twitter. And remember there’s lots of information that you can access 24/7 on the student webpages and in particular the Welcome Hub.
We can’t wait to meet you!
And if you are unable to arrive in time for your Welcome Week, don’t worry – there are plenty of ways for you to catch up on anything you might miss. See here for our top tips on preparing for a slightly late start to your studies.