Student Safety Day
Whether you are living in halls of residence, private accommodation or at home – fire safety does matter. Come along to Canterbury Fire Station on 19th September from 10am to find out more.
Did you know?
- 5 people aged 17-24 are killed or injured by fires each day
- Every year, around 350 18-24 year olds are injured in accidental house fires started by cigarettes, smoking materials & candles
- More than ½ of all accidental fire deaths amongst this age group occur in the kitchen when cooking, when handling hot substances or through misuse of electrical equipment
- 1 in every 3 people who die in house fires has been drinking
Some simple tips
- Keep your cooker, grill & oven clean to avoid grease & fat build-up, that could start a fire
- Keep an eye on your cooking
- Don’t cook when drunk
- Unplug phone chargers & hair straighteners when not in use
- Keep fire escapes clear
- Don’t cover smoke detectors
- Don’t ignore fire alarms if they go off. You may think it is only a test or your flatmate has accidentally set it off again but it could be real and you would not want to risk your or other people’s safety.
- If you smoke make sure you put your cigarettes out. Remember you are not allowed to smoke in Christ Church Student Accommodation.