Student news

Why become an SCE Ambassador.

Student news

Why become an SCE Ambassador.

When I first started studying at CCCU I saw the Ambassador Scheme being advertised during Freshers’ Fayre. I knew I wanted to work with young people when I had finished my degree, so I thought this would be a good way to gain experience whilst studying, so that I had something to talk about when it came to applying for jobs after graduating.  

Fast forward four years and I am still working for the School and College Engagement (SCE) Team, and it has had a huge impact on my university experience. Becoming an Ambassador has allowed me to realise the sort of career I would like to go into, whilst really helping build my confidence. I now feel that I am able to communicate with young people in a fun and engaging way and encouraging young people to go to university is something that means a lot to me now. As an Ambassador I have been able to help young people with their presentation skills, study techniques, personal statements and applications, as well as having the opportunity to work at the University’s summer schools and other exciting events. Working as an Ambassador is always varied and no two events are the same, but often can include either welcoming schools and colleges onto campus for tours and subject specific events or going into the school to talk about our experiences as students and providing valuable guidance to young people across Kent and Medway. There is also the opportunity to complete additional training such as child protection and safeguarding, which look great on your CV and future applications.   

Being an Ambassador has had a huge impact on my experience as a student at CCCU and I have made some of my closest friends through this scheme. The support I have received from the team has been exceptional and I feel really privileged to have been given the opportunity to work in a role that helps so many young people every year. I would encourage everyone to apply to be an Ambassador, even if you haven’t done anything similar before – it is an incredible opportunity and really does make a difference.  

If you are interested in becoming an Ambassador, you can find out more about the role and apply to be a part of this amazing opportunity here.

Written by alumna, Dana Harvey