There’s no reason why having dyslexia should hold you back from succeeding at CCCU. In fact we have many dyslexic students achieving a first class honours  The most important thing is to let us know, as that way we can ensure you have the support you need to succeed.

Take the First Step

If you believe you may be dyslexic, we encourage you to complete a CCCU Disability Service Registration Form. This enables us to advise you on facilities and services available to you depending on your personal needs.

We may recommend an initial dyslexia screening to give an indication of the probability of you having dyslexia. We can also provide information on funding for learning support, and let you know about the range of internal and external support on offer.

Once you have completed the registration form we will arrange for you to meet with a specialist Disability Adviser to see what we can do to help you.

Applying for extra funding

If you have dyslexia you can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) through your student finance funding body (for instance, Student Finance England or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland). Find out more about DSA.

Get IT support

You can access a range of productivity software packages on University PCs and to use at home, including accessibility tools, text to speech, time management, note taking, plus much more to help you during your studies. Check out our list of Productivity Software we have available.

Get further Information

If you would like any other information about how the University supports dyslexic students please get in touch with one of the Student Disability Advisers in the Student Disability Service by emailing disability@canterbury.ac.uk. The team can advise you of other sources of support, information and guidance, including help with developing your academic skills.

Other sources of free information and support include the British Dyslexia AssociationDyslexia Action, and the NHS.

What our students say

Sean King, former Sociology student said “ I graduated with a first class degree and a letter of commendation in Sociology, which I most likely would not have achieved without the help of the Disability Services. The services supported me in many ways throughout the two years: reviewing my progress with assignments and teaching me grammatical rules, but most importantly, acting as a neutral support network in which I could voice any anxieties or concerns I had personally or professionally in a safe and comforting environment.”

Andy Cockram, former Sports student said “Through structured support I was able to improve upon my strengths and address my weaknesses focusing on assignment planning, proof reading, spelling and grammar. Thanks to the help I received from the Disability Service Team my grades steadily improved and in my final year my hard work paid off being awarded a first class degree”.

Graham Earl, Doctor of Biological Sciences ” The one to one and departmental support I received made dealing with my dyslexia manageable and levelled the playing field of academia considerably”