The School of Music and Performing Arts are presenting their Annual Musical: HONK! this week, with the opening night happening today! To celebrate, Dylan Stallard, CCCU Creative & Professional Writing student, finds out what the talented Design Team have been up to…

Name: Amy Chambers // Role: Head of Design // Course: Performing Arts, Second Year

Why did you want to get involved?

I’m hoping to do theatre design after university – go on to a masters – and I need to add to my portfolio so this is an extra thing I can do!

What are you enjoying most?

I like making things out of nothing! Taking a piece of cardboard and making it into a giant pair of scissors, I find it fun.

What are your plans for next year?

I’m hoping to work with different theatre companies, get in contact with quite a few, shadow some theatre design people and just get myself out there.

What’s your favourite musical?

It changes every day. At the moment it’s The Guy Who Didn’t Like Musicals because it’s very Brechtian in its way and it’s a musical I’ve not seen do that yet.

Name: Jack Galpin // Role: Design Team // Course: Drama, Third Year

Why did you want to get involved?

I was in last year’s musical and it’s always a good experience. It just provides you with a sense of camaraderie and allows you to understand the industry a bit better.

What are you enjoying most?

I find art very therapeutic so being able to paint, carve cardboard, being surrounded by different artistic mediums, it’s very fun.

What are your plans for next year?

I’m applying for a masters in theatre making, and I’m looking to continue my theatre company with the outreach programme at the university as well as the equality and diversity team.

What’s your favourite musical?

Guy’s and Dolls. Specifically the 1982 West End revival because it had Bob Hoskins in it, and Ian Charleson singing as Sky Masterson is amazing!

Name: Laura Ubach Fernández // Role: Design Team // Course: Drama and Performing Arts, Third Year

Why did you want to get involved?

I saw it as an opportunity to work behind the stage, and to gain experience on something related to theatre but different than acting.

What are you enjoying most?

Designing the props. It helps me to develop my creativity and imagination.

What’s your favourite musical?

I think Rent. It shows a daily reality and it’s very easy to feel the situations the characters have to go through.

…….

To give you a final taste of what’s in store, here’s a teaser trailer:

Can’t wait to see the full performance? Get tickets by clicking here