Student news

International student? This blog is for you (Part 2).

Student news

Aphiwe, student content creator at Canterbury Christ Church University

Hi, it’s me – Aphiwe, back for part 2 of my international blog.

The scariest of times is upon us! Somebody just cued the creepy music from Jaws 1,2 AND 3, there is a crowd of people randomly running in different directions, it is utter madness! These are 11 letters that even bring tears to the toughest of people…

Immigration

Scary, right? The world as we know it is coming to an end, like that time when everyone thought the Earth was going to explode back in 2012? Only, that was 8 years ago and we’re still here! So please relax and eat an ice lolly!

It’s all about perspective…

The facts:

• Immigrating to another country is scary, almost like a horror movie.
  • BUT, it doesn’t have to be because I’m here for you.

I’ve lived through that horror movie and I’m here to help you feel like this process of moving is as smooth and as sweet as the ice lolly you’re probably not eating 😉

See this as an adventure. Change your perspective of your thoughts on immigration and see it like the levels in a game.

Level 1: Visa application

This is a big step in the right direction and don’t worry, I won’t pull a Neil Armstrong on you but you get the rest…

Make sure you choose the correct type of visa that you’re applying for, you don’t want to find out that you applied for the wrong visa because this could delay the whole process for you.

The University has trained immigration advisers on hand to help support your visa application process. Contact: international@canterbury.ac.uk

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is your go-to place for support https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/

So, stubborn me decided not to use this website until I realised that it was the first thing I should’ve looked at, so don’t be a hero, save yourselves!

For you to even apply, the University will issue out a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) in the form of a letter.

Level 2: CAS (well, technically Level 1 but you get the point!)

Always keep in mind that the university is like the key you need to open a door and that open door is your visa. If you are not issued a CAS by the university then you can’t get the visa, therefore you can’t open that door. There is other documentation that you’ll need and you can find this when you applied for your visa. All the information you might need will be given to you when the time is right.

There is a checklist so that you can go through the things you might need. When I first got my my CAS letter, it had taken a couple of weeks to receive it as there can be no mistakes on it and every letter is unique to the student. I had asked for the CAS in advance so my suggestion would be to give yourself enough time for this entire application process and be patient and keep focused. Ultimately, this process ends up being more fun because the only thing you’re focusing on is the end goal. It’s all about your perspective on it after all!

Level 3: Stress less

Once you have applied and ensured that you’ve handed in all the documentation that is needed, all that weight and stress will literally be off your shoulders. Now all you have to do is wait.

DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT book your flights and/or accommodation for family if you don’t have your approved visa in your possession. Like I said earlier, you need a key to open a door.

Level 4: Now you’re more than halfway there!

So, you see, something that starts off as unsettling or scary, like the beginning of this blog, or the idea of immigration, ends up being like an international walk in the park. Not only are you walking in the park but now that this is done, you could potentially walk in any park in the world. It all starts with you.

Thanks for reading my blog, based on my experience applying to University as an international student. Feel free to read part 1 of my international blog series again.

You’re at the beginning of your life. So be daring and spread those glorious wings and fly! See you next time 🙂

Full application information:

Get the full guide to applying to Canterbury Christ Church University as an international student by visiting our website.