Did you know that your smartcard is so much more than just your Student ID? From registering your attendance to accessing buildings on campus, to enabling you to borrow books from the library to using the printers, your smartcard is your key to so much at CCCU.
So, make sure you have yours for the beginning of the new academic year:
- New students – once you finish registration, don’t forget to order your student smartcard here.
- Continuing students – if you’ve lost your smartcard you can get a replacement card for £10. Please contact the i-zone for more information.
Why register your student attendance
It’s important for us to know if you’ve attended lectures, seminars or classes in person or online so we can support you in your studies. By registering your attendance, we’ll notice if you’ve missed any timetabled sessions and if you need any support to get back on track.
If you are an international student who is here on a Student Route visa, then your leave to remain in the UK is dependent on your continued engagement with your studies. One of the ways in which we monitor your engagement will be through your attendance. If you miss any of your learning activities without prior agreement from the University, then we may withdraw our sponsorship of your visa.
When attending lectures, seminars and other taught classes on campus remember to register your own attendance by ‘tapping in’ with your smartcard. Look out for the black smartcard reader at the entrance of lecture theatres and teaching rooms. Each time you tap in, there will be a ‘bleep’. The LED on the smartcard reader will flash blue briefly indicating that your attendance has been successfully recorded.
Your engagement with online learning and teaching activities on Blackboard and other platforms will automatically be recorded.
This, along with range of other information, will be gathered by your Personal Academic Tutors to give you an indication of how your learning is progressing and where you may need further support to reach your full potential.
Top tips for registering your attendance
- To tap in for each separate timetabled session. So, if you were to have a seminar in RWg15 9-10am followed by another seminar in RWg15 10-11am, you’d need to tap in at both 9am and 10am.
- You can tap into a class up to 15 minutes before it’s timetabled to begin, and any time thereafter until it’s due to end.
- You don’t need to tap out when the class finishes. If you do, the system will record that you did so, but it won’t affect your attendance record either way.
- If you don’t tap in, your attendance at that class won’t be recorded. So, if you’ve forgotten your smartcard, please still attend but remember to bring it next time.
- When tapping in, keep your smartcard separate from any credit cards/Oyster cards etc, to make sure only the correct one is scanned.