Do you have a disability including a mental health condition or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dyspraxia? You could be eligible for extra help and support.

At Canterbury Christ Church University, we are committed to providing an excellent learning experience to all whatever your needs are and the Student Disability Service is here to support you if you are facing, or potentially facing disabling barriers to higher education.

What is a Disabled Students’ Allowance?

If you have a disability including a mental health condition or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dyspraxia it is important for you to be aware of the Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) 2016/2017. DSA is based upon your individual needs and not upon your household income.

If you are eligible, this allowance can help pay the extra essential costs relating to your studies, which may occur as a direct result of your disability.  Disabled Student’s Allowance may include costs of:

  • Specialist equipment allowance for any specialist study equipment you need because of your disability.
  • Non-medical helper allowance to pay for support workers and other non-medical assistance you need to use to benefit fully from your course.
  • Travel allowance covers additional travel costs you pay to get to university or placement as a direct result of your disability.
  • General allowance for other extra disability related costs you may have.

How to apply?

The application process can take up to 14 weeks so it’s important you apply early to make sure your DSA are in place in time for starting your course.

If you are applying for student finance you need to do this before you apply for DSAs and let Student Finance England know. They will then send you the appropriate form. For further information click here.

But don’t worry if it all seems a bit daunting, contact our Student Disability Service and they will help you through the process.

Can I get support making an application?

In addition to DSA you can also benefit from the help and support available from our specialist teams.  Both the disability and the mental wellbeing teams can help you to apply for DSA and also work alongside you to develop a Learning Support Plan.  Learning Support plans help to identify any further practical assistance you might need including extended library loans, productivity software or accessible teaching rooms.

Should you require any further information please contact either our Disability Team (, or our Mental Wellbeing team (, for further support and advice.