Studying and borrowing books in the winter holidays
The holidays will soon be upon us and we hope you enjoy the winter break. However, you might be thinking about studying and borrowing items over the holidays, here’s what you need to know.
Studying in the Library during the holidays
The first thing you’ll need to know is when we’re open… we will be open as follows:
Augustine House, Canterbury
You can see when the building will be open over the holidays in the table below. Library and Learning Resources, i-zone and the IT hub will be providing staffed services from 12 until 5pm throughout the holiday, with the exception of Christmas Day [25th December], Boxing Day [26th December] and New Year’s Day [1st January] when the building will be closed.
|Saturday 21 – Monday 23 December||Building and self-service – 07:30 – 1:00*|
Library point – 12:00 – 17:00
|Tuesday 24 December||Building and self-service – 09:00 – 17:00*|
Library Point – 12:00 – 17:00
|Wednesday 25 – Thursday 26 December||CLOSED|
|Friday 27 – Tuesday 31 December||Building and self-service – 09:00 – 17:00*|
Library Point – 12:00 – 17:00
|Wednesday 1 January||CLOSED|
* Please note that a smartcard is required to access the building outside the staffed hours of 12:00 – 17:00.
The building will open at 7.30am on Thursday 2nd January and 24/7 access will resume until Friday 17th January.
Salomons Library, Tunbridge Wells
Closes at 4.30pm on Friday 20 December. The building will reopen at 8.15am with a staffed service from 8.30am on Thursday 2nd January.
Drill Hall Library, Medway
The library will close at 17:00 on Monday 23 December, re-opening at 08:00 on Thursday 2 January.
For more information please visit our opening hours page.
Before you go away
If you’re going to be away from campus for the holidays, here are our top tips of what to do before you go away:
- Return any books you don’t need
- Return any 24 hour loans, these items aren’t eligible for renewal.
- If you have a 24 hour loan or a 7 day loan, check to see if there is a longer 4 week loan available.
- Check LibrarySearch to see if there is an e-book you could use instead of a print copy while you’re away.
- The courier service that move books between our Libraries will not be in operation over the winter holiday. If you need a book from another library make sure you reserve it in good time. We recommend no later than Monday 16 December.
While you’re away
- Your items will automatically renew, unless they are reserved or are on 24 hour loan. You don’t need to renew or return any loans, from Saturday 21 December to Sunday 5 January inclusive.
- Check your student email and library account, in case someone reserves a book on loan to you. If you can’t return a book on time, contact us immediately by email email@example.com or ring 01227 782352.
- You can return items by post (please use recorded delivery) to the following address:
Library and Learning Resources
The User Experience Team
5A Rhodaus Town