Christ Church Sport

The Joy of Walking to Work

The Joy of Walking to Work

Tip: Walk or cycle to university

We’re told we need to be more active and one of the simplest and most effective forms of exercise is walking. There are so many benefits to be gained from walking: reduced risk of heart disease and other major illnesses, improved mental health, not forgetting your daily dose of Vitamin D from exposure to sunlight.

So walking as part or all of your commute is the obvious solution to a whole range of issues.

I choose to walk to work three times a week. It’s about 4 miles each way– a bit more than I’ve been used to in previous jobs – and it takes me just over an hour. Some people gawp at that distance and see it as a waste of time, but I see it differently.

Being outside and connecting with nature

I’ve found a route to work that is nearly all off-road.  It takes me along a river and through orchards. Being outside you come across things all the time, and because you’re walking you’re able to stop and take it in. At the moment I’m noticing the birds, especially the sound of cuckoos in the morning. And I’ve come across foxes, frogs, snakes and interesting insects. I pass the apple blossoms in spring and I see the fruit harvest in the autumn.

Even in mid- winter, walking home in pitch darkness, on clear nights I get to enjoy looking up at the night sky.

Switching off and on

Apart from crossing the odd road, I don’t need to concentrate at all.  I can switch off and daydream, think through any problems, or listen to podcasts and entertain myself or learn something new.  The exercise means I arrive at work more awake and alert and ready to start the day.  And going home, however weary I start out, I always find the walk both refreshes and unwinds me and I arrive home relaxed for the evening.

I hardly ever get stressed – I attribute that in large part to the walking.

All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.  Friedrich Nietzsche

Saving Time

Although walking takes longer than commuting by car, I arrive home having had plenty of exercise so I don’t feel the need to rush out and try and fit in a workout in the evening. For me, commuting on foot is the most efficient and pleasant use of my time.

And of course, I never get bothered by traffic jams, construction work, delays on the railways, rail strikes etc. I can basically guarantee I will get to work on time.

All weathers

Right now it’s perfect for walking – bright and sunny, but not too hot.  But I walk in all weathers. If it’s wet, I just use an umbrella and some decent waterproofs and carry a change of clothes with me.  There’s actually something quite satisfying about coming indoors after being out walking in bad weather.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. — Sir Rannulph Fiennes

And it must do my circulation good too.  When I get to work in winter, while everyone else is feeling the cold, I’m the one going round turning off all the radiators and opening the windows.

No Cost

Saving money was not part of my decision to walk to work. But of course, walking means I don’t spend any money at all on my commute. No petrol or parking costs, no train or bus fares. And there’s no cost to the environment either – zero car emissions and zero carbon footprint. The only cost is the extra food required to cover the 500 or so calories I use up. But then again, many people spend money to go to the gym to burn up those calories, so I still think I’m the winner there.

Overall?

I’ve always liked walking in my spare time, so walking to work means I’m combining my leisure activity with my commute.

I can thoroughly recommend walking to work.  I’m fitter and  healthier both in mind and body.

If I could not walk far and fast, I think I should just explode and perish. — Charles Dickens

Even if you live far away from your workplace, if you opt for public transport you’ll still enjoy some of the benefits by walking to the bus stop or train station.

And right now is the perfect time to try.  Until 10th July, if you sign up to the Kent Smarter Travel Challenge and log your active commute, you’ll not only feel healthier, but you could win a prize!