Christ Church Sport

Great minds ride a bike

Great minds ride a bike

Life is like riding a bicycle — in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. Albert Einstein

Would you believe me if I told you that riding a bicycle can make you think like Albert Einstein? Probably not… But one of the reasons I love cycling so much, is that time travelling to and from work on my bike, is time when I don’t have to think – and yet it gives me some breathing space, time when thoughts, usually pleasant or helpful ones, do just pop into my head!

I started cycling to work when I moved to Canterbury a few years ago. It was a no brainer: a 50 minute walk from my house or a 15 minute cycle ride? (And an extra half hour in bed!) Buses were (still are) too pricey; and I really disliked driving – being stuck in traffic for ages, then having to park in the nether regions of the city. Not a great way to start the day…

When I moved to Whitstable, I carried on cycling. (Well, most days). The fresh air and listening to the birds sing as I pedalled along the Crab & Winkle Way were sufficient reward for making the effort. Now I’m living back in Canterbury, just outside the city walls, and my daily each way journey takes 10 minutes door to door. I cycle every day, come wind, rain or shine. The only weather I won’t venture out into is snow and ice, for obvious reasons. I couldn’t imagine not cycling now. It’s great exercise, I’m not polluting my environment and I save money. It’s a low-cost, low-maintenance way to get around and an enjoyable part of my daily routine. Canterbury, although not the most cycle-friendly of places, does have a network of cycle routes that I use, which make traversing the city quite easy. Undoubtedly, living a short distance from work makes the decision to cycle an easier one for me. Longer distances of course are a more daunting prospect or indeed an impossibility; but cycling across from the train station or from wherever you park (if not on campus) on a fold-up bicycle like a Brompton, might perhaps be an alternative option?

If you’re thinking of cycling, but don’t have a bicycle or fancy an upgrade on one you have; consider spreading the cost and buying one tax-free through Cyclescheme. If it’s been a while since you rode a bike – or you’re new to cycling, Cyclescheme also produce a good magazine Cycle Commuter, full of useful tips to help get you started.

Maz Hamilton
Sustainability and Futures Initiative Coordinator