On 7th March 2017, Broadstairs students joined students from the Canterbury Campus at the annual FLUX Sustainable Business Challenge, held at Discovery Park, Sandwich.
Business Futures programme has been running across the year and concluded in the week commencing 30th January. We saw a number of events and activities, including networking with employers and graduate recruiters, mock assessment centers, careers fairs, student panels and more. This is a quick recap of the careers focused week.
- During Business Futures programme we ran over 37 employability themed workshops with most of them being employer led
- We held a Careers Fair featuring 16 recruiters.
- On Monday 30th January, we organised a major networking event. This event featured 14 employers, graduate recruiters, recruitment agencies, entrepreneurs, charities, and a professional body. More than 300 students attended. It was a lively day that provided students with an opportunity to speak to a range of employers.
- We held two student panels in Canterbury and Broadstairs – where our students that are currently out on their placement year came and shared their experiences with current second year students offering frank, useful information as well as being inspiring ambassadors for The Business School on the benefits of placement.
- Enterprise Rent a Car and Challenge Network ran a mock assessment centre and talked through what employers expect from graduates, offering students useful insight.
- Amplify Trading ran a three day workshop for students giving them a taste of working within the financial markets. This included trading in major market themes, using a leading market making platform. Students created prices in both quote and order driven markets that reflected investment bank’s exposure of risk and the application of fundamental analysis to trade the US employment data.
You can see more photos on our official Facebook page. Do not forget to tag your friends!
Matt Warner, a recent Christ Church Business School graduate, came to speak to Retail Strategy students on Monday 23rd January.
Matt delivered a guest lecture on his role as a supply chain analyst in the produce department at Sainbury’s. During the seminars he set the students a real world task of how to mitigate against the shortage of produce available because of recent severe winter weather in Spain.
The students had to draw on all of their economics, consumer behaviour, and marketing/branding knowledge to help come up with potential solutions to the problem. Matt is off to Spain now to visit the growers whose crops have been destroyed to try to help them overcome shortfalls – and secure future crops for Sainsbury’s.
The students and faculty who were able to join Matt enjoyed the lecture and Matt’s first-hand knowledge of life after graduation and looking for a job, which included his top tips:
- A degree is not enough … what makes you?
- Focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses
- Be social!
- Push yourself
- Have confidence in your ability
- Take some time off at the end of the academic year
- Draw a line in the sand and reflect.
Join us in Augustine House library in Canterbury for a Christ Church Business School Careers Fair on Tuesday 25th October 2016 between 11am and 3pm.
If you have any questions please contact Amanda Monteiro, Employability and Accreditation Manager.
Congratulations to Scott Ridley, a recent graduate from Christ Church Business School (Accounting and Finance) on his new career in the foreign exchange market in Canary Wharf, London. The company (Rational FX) is currently looking for two graduates to work within the finance industry.
We are currently seeking motivated and dynamic graduates to join our private client dealing desk. In this role you will be primarily responsible for contacting prospective as well as existing private clients to promote our financial products and services. You will be responsible for setting up new client accounts whilst actively managing your own client portfolio ensuring clients are kept up to date with FX developments.
This is the ideal opportunity to develop your financial services experience within a highly successful foreign exchange company.
The idea candidate
You will be a recent graduate with some sales experience and a strong customer focus. You will be proactive and dynamic with the ability to build relationships quickly over the telephone. Your willingness to learn will be clearly evident as will be your passion, focus and determination to succeed.
In return we offer you excellent development opportunities with great potential for role progression as well as holiday exchange, cycle to work, season ticket loans and did we mention drinks on a Friday!
Basic salary plus competitive commission.
Rational FX is one of the fastest growing, independent foreign exchange and money transfer companies in the UK, and is located in Canary Wharf, London. Rational FX along with its money remittance brand Xendpay, are FCA authorised and have handled over $10 Billion in transactions. The company employs approximately 80 people and has strong growth plans for the future; this is an exciting time for the company and a great time for talented and motivated individuals to become part of the team.
In order to apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter to Scott Ridley via email on firstname.lastname@example.org